Saturday, October 20, 2007

Fat Tire Clone


Mr. top 25 cigars and I brewer a Fat Tire Clone yesterday. We hit the Original Gravity perfectly at 1.052. Since I was able to get a 72% mash efficiency, the larger batch (11 gallons) came out correct. The SRM and IBU might be off, but we are not entering in a brew competition with this one.

We enjoyed cigars, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, and my Bourbon Barrel Porter. All essential ingredients for distance runners.

MN Dead Runners: this could be at the November FA

3 comments:

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Dang, you like cigars, too. We must be twin sons of different mothers...I've got an old upright freezer (that doesn't work), lined with spanish cedar, that I use as my humidor.

I don't do "clone brews" too much. I do a lot of my own recipes, mainly for beers that I can't get easily, (or for beers that are normally very pricey). Fat Tire is okay, but doesn't qualify on that front, so I won't brew a clone of it.

Happy trails,
Bad Ben

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Carl,
I'm planning to drive up next April to do Wynn Davis' race, the Chippewa Moraine 50K. If you're doing it too, maybe we could each take a keg of homebrew up to Wynnsconsin with us. Wynn likes good grog, and of course, lots of other Ultrarunners do.

Bad Ben

Matthew Patten said...

Ben,

I did the Fat tire more for a friend than myself. Yeah, it's kind of middle of the road. I like to use a clone as a basis point to create a new taste profile.

I will most likely by at Wynn's 50k in April. Maybe we should brew something special for him seeing how he will most likely have a killer 2008

Matt (not Carl)